From the First of January 2007, new requirements for commercially registered yachts will come into place. It will be necessary for all Red Ensign flagged commercial yachts over 24 meters and under 500GRT to have on board a Safety Management System. The system, referred to in the industry as the 'Mini - ISM', is effectively a trimmed down version of the requirements of the International Safety Management (ISM) Code.
Pelagos Yachts is the first yacht management company to devise a user friendly and flag state approved Mini ISM system SMS for yachts fitting this category, using the guidelines as laid out by the MCA. Our SMS includes:
- Straightforward health and safety guidelines
- A clear layout of lines of communication throughout the chain of command
- Comprehensive preparation for and response to emergency situations, as well as checklists for drills and relevant contact information
- A thorough policy on prevention of drug and alcohol abuse
- Statements of authority, together with documents to clarify responsibilities
- An informative guide to training and familiarisation of new crew, as well as guests, to the relevant health and safety procedures
- Clear checklists to be used for all onboard procedures, including passage planning, change-overs, anchorage etc
- A breakdown of routines for thorough inspection and maintenance of all equipment
- A suitable waste disposal system in accordance with Prevention of Pollution Regulations
- Regular support and review opportunities from Pelagos Yachts.
Pelagos Yachts can help yacht owners and captains to prevent accidents at sea by providing clear instructions and documentation on all the issues addressed by the MCA. Along with this package comes continued shore-based support and advice. We are aiming to ensure that yachts fitting the category are fully compliant with the Code prior to the First of January 2007 by offering our services gratis , subject to contractual obligations, until that date.
Please contact us for further details.